Your gift, your legacy, your plan
By leaving a gift to Habitat for Humanity WDG in your estate plan, you play a vital role in the future of families living in poverty in your community. Through planned giving you can ensure our important work continues for generations to come while at the same time providing you with tax savings and benefits- it’s in your power to change a life.
The process is easy and there are many options available for you and your family to consider:
1. Bequest in Your Will
A bequest– the most common type of future gift– is a commitment made through your Will to be distributed by your estate upon your death. A bequest may be a specific piece of property, sum of money, or a portion of your estate. Upon death, Habitat for Humanity WDG will issue a donation receipt for the bequest that may result in significant tax savings in the year of your death and the preceding year. Most people make a bequest when their Wills are drawn.
2. Gift of Life Insurance
A gift of life insurance will enable you to make a major gift through a policy you already own, or through a series of affordable premium payments. There are a number of ways to donate and plan your gift using life insurance:
- Give an already paid-up policy and receive a donation receipt for the cash value of the policy.
- Give an existing policy on which premiums are still being paid, and in return, receive a receipt for the cash value of the policy and subsequent premium payments.
- Purchase a new policy, transfer ownership to Habitat for Humanity WDG, and receive a tax receipt for all payments and premiums.
- Retain ownership of the policy and name Habitat for Humanity WDG as the direct beneficiary and, when you pass away, your estate will receive a tax receipt for the face value of the policy.
3. Donation of Appreciated Securities
Recent changes to the tax laws have made it more attractive for donors to make a gift through the donation of appreciated securities, mutual funds, bonds or options because you are 100% exempt from paying capital gains tax. This is an easy and tax effective way of supporting Habitat for Humanity WDG. Simply complete a Securities Form and follow the instructions.
4. Gift of RRSP/RRIF
Gifts made through registered retirement savings plans (RRSPs) and registered retirement income funds (RRIFs) are a popular way to offset taxes owing on funds at the time of death. When you name Habitat for Humanity WDG directly as beneficiary, your estate will save probate fees. Your gift is treated as a charitable donation in the year of death. You will receive a charitable receipt which will counterbalance your final tax return, transforming any final tax liabilities.
Please contact email@example.com or call 519.767.9752 x31 to discuss your options and to learn more.