In selecting partner families, Habitat WDG considers:
The need for decent, affordable housing
- Families living in core housing need will be considered.
- A family living in conditions, which do not meet one or more of the acceptable housing standards is considered living in core housing need.
- Acceptable housing is adequate in condition, suitable in size, and affordable.
- Housing that is adequate in condition does not require any major repairs.
- Housing that is suitable in size has enough bedrooms for the size and make-up of the residents.
- Affordable housing does not cost more than 30% of before-tax household income to pay the median rent (including utility costs).
Ability to pay a mortgage
- Adult(s) of the family must have a reliable source of income and demonstrate the ability to make affordable mortgage payments prior to being approved as a partner family.
Willingness to partner with Habitat
- Families must complete 500 hours of sweat equity (volunteer labour)
- “Sweat Equity” can be volunteer support on; the build site of your home, whether as a build crew member or a site host, in the ReStore, or in the community at special Habitat WDG events.
- Families must be willing to participate in Habitat WDG events such as Home Dedication Ceremonies, etc.
- Families must have resided one year in the area they have applied for.
For more information please contact Amber Jessop, Volunteer & Family Services at 519-767-9752 ext. 37 or firstname.lastname@example.org.